Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Ayn Rand / The Fountainhead : Dominique's Song

Quite a few of my projects / works of art have been inspired by The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. The relationship between Howard Roark and Dominique Francon, Howard's struggle to build innovative structures that change the face of the world, Dominique's commitment to love and beauty - these are all things that I took away with me after reading the book.
For a while, I have had the idea to write a song through the eyes of Dominique that expresses the extent of her relationship with Howard. Though the lyrics I have written so far are not quite finished, I recorded myself singing what I have written so far in order to share it and receive feedback from users at deep underground poetry (as well as anyone else). Here is the current version of the song, entitled "Dominique's Song" :




Dominique's Song (Lyrics):


Your eyes are like water
And I've fallen in
I cannot escape their embrace
One look at you
And I'm instantly blue
Anyone else can see your face

Isn't it funny
They need you
Isn't it just terrifying
No doubt about it
I need you
We are just two of a kind

Like a greek god in statue
You've stolen my heart
I'm never to see it again
Others look on
They don't know what we have
It ended before the start

Isn't it funny
They need you
Isn't it just terrifying
No doubt about it
I need you
We are just two of a kind

You stripped me of virtue
Like they robbed you of thought
They're animals dancing a play
The first time I saw you
The world seemed to stop
We  stood there exchanging a gaze

Isn't it funny
They need you
Isn't it just terrifying
No doubt about it
I need you
We are just two of a kind

We are just two of a kind

No comments:

Post a Comment