Sunday, September 23, 2012

My Favorite Women in Art


If there is one artist I admire most, it is Henri Matisse. An on going project for me has been creating imagery based off of his painting "Italian Woman". In a recent reduction print (center), I combined part of Matisse's image with a section taken from "the bathers" by William Adolph Bouguereau, another painting that I love from the Art Institute. By finding the area of concentration in the painting, and enlarging it, I create new compositions based on the original female form. To the left is a small acrylic painting on wood based on the Italian Woman. To the right is a sketch in colored pencil, graphite, and pen based on the Bathers. Here are the original images.

the Italian Woman, Matisse

the Bathers, Bougeureau




No comments:

Post a Comment