Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Grin And Bear It

Here's more on a previously posted work!
In a quest to bring texture into my works, I decided to actually physically layer cloth onto the canvas. I wanted to create something so real and so juicy that you had to resist the urge to touch it. Though this piece is only 12 by 12 inches, I can just imagine this as a massive wall-covering piece, so overwhelming that all you can do is sit and look. For me, it captures the feeling of living with resentment, and holding in this feeling so long that it destroys you from the inside out.
The idea for the piece first came to me when I decided to sit down and illustrate various scenes from fountainhead. Out of that sprang an idea for a cartoon, in which these little leach-like "second handers" were destroyed by their own actions. These characters kept on "swimming with the crowd" despite feeling as if they are going against their conscious, and were ultimately punished for it.

Here is a doodle I did of the original characters fooling around.

This doodle from a while a go inspired by what would be the character of the hero-personality, those akin to Howard Roark, or according to Ayn Rand, Objectivists.

Here is a small self portrait I did based off of a photo taken of me. Here, the background is abstracted and my image is blurred to make me resemble my objectivist characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment