Monday, May 14, 2012

Crazy About This Guy



Jacob Lawrence, Through Forests, Through Rivers, Up Mountains.

I recently did my final paper for African American Art History on this piece. The subject is Harriet Tubman and the underground railroad. The canvas is loaded with so much information, symbols, and artistic devices, and so I was drawn to it as an excellent work of art to write about.


My initial attraction to Jacob Lawrence came from the similarity in style that I have to him. Researching his work caused me to realize just how much I am drawn to his imagery. I chose one piece so that I could more closely examine one aspect of his work - story telling. However, there is much more about him that I admire.


Above are "Marionettes" and a piece from Lawrence's Hiroshima series. These both relate more closely to my own interests in terms of his color use, line work, and compositional aesthetic.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you!! I saw this painting at the Bermuda Museum in Hamilton several years ago. I finally found it on your blog. Every time
    that I get involved in a discussion about the Civil War, I mention this painting. I need to find a print somewhere...I'm not certain which of the books on Lawrence would feature it.

    ReplyDelete