Wednesday, June 2, 2010

OOPS

So, it's been a bit longer than I thought I would take...

But I have been doing much jewelry and art making in preparation and in hopes of finding a way to sell it, most likely a flea market.

On another note, took the day to go to the Brooklyn Museum of Art. They really change that place around! Saw a lot of new stuff.


One hot lookin pistol from Turkey...

I felt like I was inside my 20th Century European Art History textbook ... This one is by Michael Angelo Pistoleto from the Italian Arte Povera Movement.

Always a joy to see a Kahindy Whiley Painting...

but on another subject,

OK - now it is mini rant time.... Debate: Reflective GlassThis is a Francis Bacon painting. He purposely used reflective glass in most of his paintings, in order to have the viewer placed inside the painting along with the figure shown. That being said, it makes for crap photo conditions when some one like me is like "YAY a Francis Bacon - shit I only see myself in the picture...". But really, the purpose of reflective glass for him only served to make the viewer's in-person experience more meaningful and intense. So I still say, YAY Francis Bacon!
On the other hand - the Brooklyn Museum of Art has a selection of European paintings on display in a large room on the 3rd floor, all clumped together in no particular order. This is incredibly poor curation on their part, and it kinda makes me die a little on the inside. The painting I use as an example here is actually quite nice in person - it is called "Golgotha" by Franz Von Stuck. Not only does the Reflective glass ruin picture quality in this case, but it is less pleasing to the viewer up close. The painting is meant to be dark and melancholy, but you can barely see past your own reflection in order to make out the slight differences in color and other things that make this passionate painting work.
I have a sneaking suspicion that much of the paintings in this wing had their frames made much later than the paintings themselves where created, quite possibly a second rate effort by the families the paintings where passed down to in hopes of merely preserving the painting from the passing of time. In this case I strongly suggest the museum take the time and effort to reframe these incredible works of art, and perhaps even re-think the way they are shown to the public! Just because they are not the MET does not mean they have to be a second-rate-museum

No comments:

Post a Comment